A virtual cable and a VST host can be used so that all music/audio from the computer is
streamed to the Dirac plugin Processor Plugin and then from the plugin to the output device of your choice.
VB-Audio Virtual Cable and VSTHost have been used in this example but the same general
principles apply to other virtual cables and VST hosts.
- Download VB-Virtual Audio Cable (donationware) https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm
- Unzip the folder and right-click VBCABLE_Setup or VBCABLE_Setupx64 in case of 64 bit computer, run as Administrator and install
- Restart your computer, two new audio devices have been installed as shown in Windows audio settings... CABLE Output as a recording device and CABLE Input as a playback device
- Download VSTHost (donationware) http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
choose the appropriate download, in this example dvsthostx64.zip has been used.
- Unzip the folder, launch VSTHost by clicking “vsthost”
- Click Devices and select Wave in order to set your devices.
Set Input port to DS: CABLE Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)
Set Output port to your output device (i.e. your DAC/audiocard)
- Drag and drop the Dirac plugin Processor Plugin in the middle of the VSTHost window.
Dirac plugins Processor Plugins are installed here:
C:/Program Files/Common Files/VST2
C:/Program Files/Common Files/VST3
- Click on Performance and select Save in order to save your configuration
- Now open the Windows settings, select Sound and then select VB-Audio Virtual Cable as the default output device
- You probably want VSTHost to launch automatically, here is how:
By clicking the tiny icon in VSTHost indicated by the red arrow you can open the Dirac Processor Plugin
window where you can switch the filter on and off for comparisons